Monday, October 5, 2009

Camp Carroll (Waegwan) South Korea

Steve made it to Camp Carroll, South Korea a little over two weeks ago. Right in a city called Waegwan. He hasn't got out quite as much as he'd like to but from what he's said he seems to like it. He's had some unfortunate mishaps with phones,internet and communication in general, but we have been pretty good with figuring out alternative ways to talk. So far Steve has eaten out twice. Once was an "American" restaurant and the other a Korean BBQ I believe. He said it was delicious. He has also found his new drink of choice which is "Aloe Water." Sounds awful, but he described it as "the best thing he has ever tasted." We will have to see. Haha. He is living in the NCO barracks which he REALLY lucked out with, because all of the other soldiers in his unit unaccompanied (that are lower rank than him) are staying in one barracks room with bunk beds. He has a room to himself with a kitchenette, bathroom and bathtub! I'll show you the limited pictures I have so far, which are just of his barracks room, but his batteries died in his camera so thats really all I've got so far.











The guy you somewhat see in a picture sitting at a desk is Steves roommate Hayes. He's a good friend of Steve's since AIT.

As for me, I leave for Korea this Friday. I'm not nervous about anything aside from the flight itself. I'm not good at sitting for a long period of time...and the flight is twelve hours. As a hypocondriac, naturally I am scared of blood clots as well. But I'm so excited to see my Stevie again after 3 long weeks.

Its been really great spending time with my family. I spent 3 days in Southern California staying with my cousin Jena in Newport and visiting with family in Murrietta. Since then I have been staying with my family here in Martinez, CA for the past couple weeks. I love being home. I'm glad I could visit before moving to my new "home" in Korea.

The plan is to come home at least once during the tour. Steve should get mid tour leave about 6 months in so we will definitely plan some kind of trip then. If I can find cheap flights and have the means to come home alternative times I may try. Steve will be gone, supposedly, 3 times for a month at a time. One of those times I hope to come home for. Its weird though. I really will only be home twice, at most, in a year. It should fly, but again I'm so glad I got to spend the time I could with my family.

Steve, I will see you on Saturday...in South Korea!



















1 comment:

  1. Aww I am so happy for you two, your blog is AWESOME, I am so happy you made one, and hopefully I can come visit in Korea that would be so neat... I will miss you both tons, cant wait to hear all the stories.

    ReplyDelete